As many other liberals and humanists I am sad about the last decade’s growing negativity towards foreigners in my country.
All over Europe right wing parties are voted into parliament, often to fight “foreigners from taking our jobs and benefits”. Here’s some facts which proves exactly the opposite:
Ian Goldwin from Oxford University has researched how much of the American economy is build by migrants. Read it and weep Europe:
- More than half of Silicon Valley Startups are started by migrants.
- Migrants outnumber native-born americans 3 to 1 in Nobel Prize winners and Academy Award winners
- Migrants account for two thirds of the US engineering workforce. And more than 50% of engineering/ science doctorates.
- Inventors of international patent applications from the us are 40% migrant (72% at Qualcomm)
- Google, Intel, PayPal, eBay and Yahoo are started by migrants.
I quote "Short-sighted policies to curtail immigration backfire and lead to slower growth and higher unemployment"
A side note: The state of Denmark:
Totally contrary to this, is how we in treat people here. The principal of Copenhagen University is quoting a survey in a national paper* today saying that 25% of international students in Denmark feel downright ”isolated”
Only 1 in 3 foreign students manage to get a job after graduating from our universities, so we manage to attract the talent, we just show them the door afterwards! So it is the fault of employers not the universities. (come to the startup scene, we hire on merit, not origin)
According to DI** we’re going to be short of 30,000 highly educated workers in 2030.
Quote again, this time from Shakespeare. “There’s something rotten in the state of Denmark”
** Danish industry association